Calgary Green Economics Intensive: A Two-Day Training for Non Economists
Thu Sep 20 to Fri Sep 21, 2018, Calgary, AB
Position yourself and your organization to be an agent of change.
Join other professionals and lifelong learners in this small-scale interactive course.
Learn about 5Rs for re-orienting the economy for a greener 21st Century.
This two-day intensive is part of the Economic Literacy Project (ELP) which centres on training and knowledge building that supports the development of a smarter and sustainable economy.
The intensive combines lectures, group-work, and reflective exercises. By the end of the course, you will have a better understanding of economic concepts and information relevant to a green economy. You will learn about ways to:
• retrofit markets and environmental policies – by reducing the depletion of common-pool resources and rewarding the supply of public goods;
• rethink valuation of environmental benefits and damages – by better understanding scarcities, values, and the consideration of ecosystem services;
• reward pro-environmental behaviour – by affecting prices, quantities, and behavioural norms that reflect the pro-social orientation of humans;
• reconcile trade-offs to inform public decisions – by choosing appropriate decision-support frameworks and discounting approaches;
• redefine economic progress and sustainability – by recognizing what is included, and omitted, by old and new measures of economic performance.
This course is adapted from a longer training program, which has successfully trained professionals in the fields of biological conservation, public policy, urban planning, sustainable finance, and environmental management. No prior knowledge or experience in economics is necessary. The curriculum is grounded in ecological economics. This form of economics focuses on issues of sustainability and efficiency and distribution. Ecological economists recognize that the economy relies upon materials and energy and services from nature.
This training is organized by the Sustainability Network and supported by a grant from the Peter Gilgan Foundation. We also appreciate the assistance of local partners Alberta Ecotrust, Suncor Energy, Pembina, the Alberta Green Economy Network and an anonymous donor.
The training takes place on September 20 and 21, 2018 from 10 AM to 5 PM at the Alberta Ecotrust offices at 1711 10 Ave SW in Calgary.
For more information and/or to register ($150) please visit:
PLEASE NOTE: The content of this page is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "Planetfriendly.net") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this listing. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to attend, participate or get involved in any way, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury or any other loss. Please read our full website Terms & Conditions.