Contaminated & Hazardous Waste Site Management Course (June 10 - 14)
Mon Jun 10 to Fri Jun 14, 2013, Toronto, ON
18th Annual Contaminated and Hazardous Waste Site Management Course
Gowen Environmental and the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) present Contaminated and Hazardous Waste Site Management, a comprehensive course that provides a solid theoretical and practical foundation in contaminated site management. The Course has been developed especially for individuals who manage, regulate, investigate, remediate, or are impacted by contaminated sites. Managing these sites is a multidisciplinary task, therefore, integrating several disciplines is necessary to efficiently and economically manage or make decisions regarding site issues.
• 5 days of in-depth discussions by 15 leading environmental, soil, sediment and groundwater experts representing academia, consulting, and government from across North America. These experts will provide a comprehensive overview of hydrogeology and geochemical principles, site assessment procedures, risk assessment and risk management tools, remediation technologies, and management issues relating to contaminated and hazardous waste sites.
• 2 Networking Lunches - 1 at hotel and 1 at Outdoor Site Characterization and Remediation Technologies Demonstration Day
• 2 Evening optional computer based workshops on computer modelling and environmental management support software.
• 1 half-day of hands-on technical demonstrations on Site Characterization and Remediation Technologies and Techniques used in sampling and monitoring programs.
• 4.7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
• Optional Excursions to the CN Tower Observation Deck and trip to Niagara Falls
Who Should Attend
The course is designed for individuals working in the contaminated sites field including operations, facility management, facility planning, program delivery, brokerage, senior management, policy development and project management including groundwater hydrologists, geoscientists, geologists, geophysicists, geochemists, geomorphologists, earth scientists, hydrogeologists, environmental geologists, environmental geoscientists, and environmental engineers, technicians, chemists, environmental scientists, lawyers, municipal/provincial/state/federal regulators, biologists, risk management professionals, environmental consultants, regulatory or compliance officers, program managers and project managers for industry and government.
Individuals who are looking for training on theory, techniques and tools used to characterization, monitor, mitigate and manage contaminated sites/properties as well as to the process of remediation of pollution causing contamination of soil, sediment and surface and groundwater. Many individuals have attended or been involved with other environmental or environmental protection training for contaminated, hazmat or pollution management through other courses, conferences, seminars, workshops and summits and found that the theoretical, practical and real world learning environment found in this 5-day and 2 night courses was the best that they have experienced.
This is demonstrated that 75% of course attendees each year attend the courses based on recommendations from previous course attendees and the other 25% through our advertising.
Topics covered in the course include:
Contaminant Hydrogeology and Hydrology, Soil Chemistry of Hazardous Materials, Practical Groundwater Pollution or Contamination Model Applications for Site Assessment and Remediation, Groundwater Modelling Workshop, Site Characterization and Conceptual Site Model Development, Project Management Tools for Environmental Projects including cost estimation and communication strategies, Sediment Characterization, Human and Ecological Risk Assessment, Soil Remediation and Groundwater Remediation, Environmental Data Management Workshop, Environmental Site Assessment or Characterization Tools and Techniques, Contaminated Site Project Management for consultants and clients, Environmental Law Applicable to Contaminated Sites, Health & Safety at Hazardous Waste Sites
Early registration ends April 27, 2013. Regulatory Agency Rate, group rate and sessions are available as well. Please refer to website for more information.